The bible is God’s written revelation of His will to Humanity. Its central theme is salvation through Jesus Christ.
The bible contains 66 books, written by 40 authors, covering a span of 1600 years. Authors range from kings, princess, poets, philosophers, prophets, statesmen and even unschooled fishermen.
Old Testament (OT)
The Old Testament is the covenant God made with people about their salvation before Christ came. The New Testament is the agreement God made with people about their salvation after Christ came.
- From Adam to Abraham, we have the history of human race.
- From Abraham to Christ, we have the history of the chosen race.
- From Christ on, we have the history of the church.
- Law – 5 books
- Historical – 12 books
- Poetical – 5 books
- Prophetical – 17 books (5 major, 12 minor)
New Testament (NT)
The New Testament was written to reveal to us the character and he teaching of Jesus Christ, the mediator of the New Covenant, by at least 8 mean. Matthew, John, Peter and Paul were apostles, Mark and Luke were companions of the apostles and James and Jude were brothers of Jesus. NT is about God, humanity, sin, redemption, justification, sanctification, glorification. In two words – grace and glory. In one word – Jesus.
- Gospel – 4 books
- History – 1 book
- Prophecy – 1 book
- Epistles – 21 books (Pauline 13, General 8)
OT Brief Explanation
- Creation (Genesis 1:1 – 2:3)
- Fall of Man (Genesis 3)
- Flood (Genesis 6 – 9)
- Babel (Genesis 11:1-9)
- Call of Abraham (Genesis 11:10 – 12:3)
- Descent into Egypt (Genesis 46 – 47)
- Exodus (Exodus 7 – 12)
- Passover (Exodus 12)
- Giving of the Law (Exodus 19 – 24)
- Wilderness Wanderings (Numbers 13 – 14)
- Conquest of the Promised Land (Joshua 11)
- Dark Ages of the Chosen People (Judges)
- Anointing of Saul as King (1 Samuel 9:27 – 10:1)
- Golden Age of Israelites under David and Solomon – The United Kingdom (2 Samuel 5:4-5; 1 Kings 10:6-8)
- The Divided Kingdom – Israel and Judah (1 Kings 12:26-33)
- The Captivity (2 Kings 17, 25)
- The Return (Ezra)
NT Brief Explantion
- Early Life of Christ (Matthew 1:18 – 2:23, Luke 1-2)
- Ministry of Christ (Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John)
- Church in Jerusalem (Acts 1-2)
- Church extending to the Gentiles (Acts 10-11, 13-20)
- Church in all the world (Romans 10-11, 15; Ephesians 2:22-23)
In case you are wondering, I am not the one who complied this. It is from my Spiritual Parent (SP) – Michelle. 🙂